It was hard to believe how easy it was to transform the wood paneling into clean drywall and a new look.
A few days after the roof damage was fixed, the dry-waller, Dom cam up with his friend to replace the drywall. He had underbid the job at first and I knew it. I knew it would cost more for the materials and that it would take two people to make it work. I was right.
Once we settled on a price, we had to buy materials. I spent about $60 on drywall.
I was floored by how fast they dismantled the roof: the shelves came out pronto, the window seat disappeared. The trim was plied from window frames. The door came off quickly and easily.
With two people working it took only a couple hours to measure my off-center mudroom and install the new drywall over the old wood paneling. We decided to keep the old paneling because there’s reason to take it down; it’s just another layer of insulation for the mudroom.
We’ll be using rounded corners rather than the heavy wood trim on the window frames. It’ll look cleaner and better.
We haven’t decided to put any texture on the walls – after all I don’t have texture on the wall in the living room. We’ll see what happens.
I’m going to paint one wall with the same color as the living room, so that’s easy. The other three walls I have no clue what to paint them.
The mudding and texturing aren’t done but the mudroom is now lighter and brighter.
I have plans for places for my plants and for a chair to sit on to change shoes. I have to find a place to do with my boots and make sure there’s no spiders making a home in there.